- She can count up to about 13, but usually starts at 3 unless prompted, and often skips 6 (five, memen...).
- She knows her alphabet, and can sing the alphabet song ("ABCs", as she calls it) pretty much on her own.
- Speaking of singing, she sings all the time! She knows several songs - Twinkle Twinkle, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Baby Beluga, Muffin Man, and lots of others. She will often sing a whole song completely on her own. She's not always totally on pitch, but she does get the basic idea and she has a really pretty voice.
- She also knows the difference between pitches that are "high" and "low". She loves to sit at the piano and hit high notes, saying "high high high" (in a high squeaky voice), then the low notes ("low low low", in a deep voice). Very cute!
- She knows tons of musical instruments - even less common ones, like harp and French horn. If she's listening to music on the radio, she will quite often tell us if she hears a trumpet, trombone, piano, or guitar. As she says the words, she mimes like she's playing the instrument.
- Her hair is still curly, especially in this hot weather!
- She talks like crazy...pretty much all the time. We're at that weird stage where we can understand most of it, but it's unintelligible to other people, so they just think we're pretending she's talking.
- She's getting a bit pickier in the food department, but she's still a pretty good eater. She seems to especially love chicken.
- She moved into her big girl bed just after her birthday, and she loves it. She gets excited every time she goes in her room and sees her "own bed". She's been sleeping well, but last night we experienced our first night terror - not fun! We're hoping it will be a short phase.
- She loves going to Nancy's house and hanging out with her friends.
- Although we wanted to hold off on attempting potty training until the summer (when Jeff will be off with her), she's been very interested and so we've been introducing it slowly. In the next few weeks we'll make a real attempt and see how that goes. The downside: now she likes to make a big deal out of it when WE use the potty successfully! :)
- And combining those last two items...one of her favourite songs to sing on the potty is Patty Cake, and we have to bake cakes for every one of her daycare friends before she'll let us stop. Sometimes we even get to bake cakes for Mommy and Daddy too!
- She gets more beautiful, and funnier, and more girl than baby, every single day. We are having a blast with her and can't imagine life without her.
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Welcome to our new site! Because we have such a beautiful kid, we decided it was time to move our stuff over to a site that has no connection to our last name, just to guard against the crazies. Sad, isn't it? Anyway, this new format will be much easier for us to update, so you can anticipate that we'll be updating a lot more often and posting A LOT more pictures.
The other big news is that we splurged on an account at Flickr. It's a huge photo sharing tool, incidentally started by a bunch of Vancouverites, that allows us to upload a virtually unlimited number of pictures. It's also a cool place to check out...you can see photos from people all over the world. Some of the pictures are amazing! We like it because we can upload lots of pictures and not have to worry about eating up too much space (our old site was huge, and we were going to have to start taking pictures down soon). The other nice thing is that pictures are very high quality, so you can print them right from the site without too much fuzziness (should keep the grandparents happy!).
We've transferred a large selection of photos of Amanda onto Flickr - most of the ones from the old site (although we may have missed a few), as well as some different ones. And because of the large upload capacity, we will probably be posting at least a few new pictures every week. (Ya right - like Jen can restrain herself to only a few a week!!). You can easily link to our entire collection of photos on Flickr by clicking the photo badge on the top right. The only downside - we can't post videos on Flickr, so no videos have yet been posted. We'll figure out a way to do this soon.
So how can you stay updated with the news from our corner of the universe, and all the new pictures of the world's cutest girl? (No bias at all!!). If you use an RSS aggregator, like newsgator (Jen's choice) or Google Reader (Jeff's), you can add our site's address to your feed list and you will automatically see all the updates.
But, if you're not a nerd like us, feel free to drop us an email and we'll be happy to send you a quick email whenever the site is updated. Just be prepared for lots of emails! :)
Please let us know what you think of the new site! We've set up a special email address for this site, again so our last name is invisible (email@example.com). All emails to this address will automatically be forwarded to Jen.
One more note...if you do notice anything on this site that gives away our last name, please let us know so we can fix it!
Posted by jenandjeff at 6:51 PM